I wrote this on July 23, 2009 . I need to update it .
Things I’ve learned and come to believe. Subject to change
1.We have evolved to reproduce, not to be happy. This does not me we can not be happy. Helen Fischer – Ted Talks h
2. Because of one, we all want to reproduce, and much of what we do is the result of this desire, or the consequences of the desire fulfilled.
3. We have an insatiable hunger for plastic things you put batteries into that have flashing lights and make beeping sounds.
4. 2 and 3 are some how related.
5.”Most of economics can be summarized in four words: “People respond to incentives.” The rest is commentary.” .
6. Incentives are created by supply, demand, and the infrastructure created to communicate information about supply and demand in the world.
7. Even with advances in technology, the social infrastructure built on mutual trust still has a large influence what people know about supply and demand, or at least how they can fulfill their demand with supply, or bring their supply to demand.
8. Infrastructure, and the planning required to build it are more important than willpower.
9.Continuous evolution/adaption is necessary for success/happiness.
10.There is no development without human development, there is no growth without human growth.
11.There are many forms of capital and currency that are not financial. Tim Ferriss – http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2009/06/29/how-to-build-a-high-traffic-blog-without-killing-yourself/
12.The value of non financial currencies are often difficult to articulate in financial terms, and for this reason are often times undervalued.
13.Many times financial capital growth is not a net growth of capital, just a transformation of one form of capital into another. Example – a rain forest into boards, or soy fields which are converted into cheese burgers. The mental health of a population of people who are exploited to work in a factory.
14.The most important quality of growth, or change in an economy, is how that change affects human capital.
15. Growth is not a linear path through two dimensions,time and value, but a spectrum through multiple dimensions.
16. The set of behaviors, or patterns of behavior, that help us survive one environment will lead us to a new environment, where this set and pattern of behaviors, or logic, may keep us from thriving in a new environment, and may eventually kill us.
17. Many times, what we don’t know we don’t know is what we need to know. The first step is figuring that out. Eric Reis lean start uphttp://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog/2009/05/19/vanity-metrics-vs-actionable-metrics/
Kevin Kelly kk.org
19. The goal of growth is to help people live, to cultivate currency and capital, both financial and non financial, to have experience and the freedom to have experience.
20. Love defined : The will to extend one’s self for the purpose of nurturing one’s own or another’s spiritual growth. The Road Less Traveled, Scott M Peck
What is spiritual growth?
He later writes that love is courage in the face of fear and work in the face of laziness. Following that, spiritual growth is growth in the ability to be courageous or the ability to do work.
Work and courage help us experience life.
This growth comes from discipline
More notes from the book
Love is an action, not a feeling. Life is difficult.
Life is full of problems. It is the solving of these problems that gives life meaning.
Discipline is the means to solving problems. Discipline is made up of the following: Delay gratification
Dedication to reality Balance, or disciplining discipline.
It is discipline which allows us to constructively face legitimate suffering, constructive in that it helps us to grow, and over come this suffering to face new suffering.
21. Attention is love.
‘To love is to be there” Thich Nhat Hanh
22. Attention, when used properly, creates real growth, an increase in an ability to experience life, and to have more focused attention.
23. Attention and neglect seem to echo through people.
24. Attention is a non renewable resource
25. Farts and farting are universally funny.
This is what I got so far, and what I’ve been thinking about.